Monday, October 21, 2013

Redemption on the Rocks

This post is a week old, sorry. I started it last weekend, but wanted to wait until pics came out since I had none on my own. They're pretty bad, so I put off writing for a while longer...and now here we are.

This past weekend (10/13ish) was a biggie for me. My running year came full circle (even though it isn't nearly done) and I ran a race for the second time: Run the Rocks 5k for the ALA.


This time last year, I was struggling to complete a 5k without stopping to walk. It seemed like no matter what the course or the weather, once I hit 2 miles I would just...tank. My mind would take over and I'd stop for water or whatever. At some point in January or so I finally broke through that, but at this point last year I wasn't there yet.

Last year I ran Run the Rocks in 32:57. The first two miles were pretty ok, but the last one is this NASTY uphill that ends with a climb up the amphitheater steps.

This year, I ran it in 28:39. That's about 4:18 faster than last year. Wow.

I really want to thank Capstone for making sure to get a single, crappy picture of me running during the race and 3 pictures of me struggling up those stupid stairs. I guess I was just too fast to get good race pictures. I dunno.



Yeah, I really needed 3x reminders of those precious moments. Oh well. at least I got something.

My splits for the miles were pretty funny too:

Suffice it to say, the first two miles are pretty much all downhill.

My playlist was solid...I'm kind of obsessed with one of my spin playlists:

In particular, that Britney song (Work Bitch), Best I Ever Had (Gavin Degraw), and Harlem are topping the list lately. They all make me feel like flying, which helps lighten the feet a bit. :-)

Anywho, that's that. I ran the Rock n Roll Half Marathon this weekend, and will have a post about that hopefully in the next couple of days. I have some post-race pictures from that, but I'm hoping for some action shots too. Stay tuned.

Have you ever run the same race twice? How'd it go? What are your weekend victories? 

No comments:

Post a Comment